17 arrested in multi-city anti-cheating operation
New Delhi: In a multi-city swoop, CBI on Saturday busted a gang allegedly involved in a cheating racket, arresting 17 people who were facilitating copying using high profile gadgets in a post-doctoral entrance exam.
During a surprise check by CBI in Chandigarh, it was found that some women candidates were using sophisticated equipment like camera, phones, bluetooth to transmit the question paper to people outside during the examination for MD courses conducted by PGIMER Chandigarh, an official said.
The information was received outside by seven people who were co-ordinating the operation and using experts from Patna and Hyderabad to get the paper solved.
The coordinators were then communicating the answers to candidates inside using sophisticated devices, the CBI said in a statement.
The students as well as experts nabbed in the synchronised operation are being probed.
Sophisticated equipment including laptops, micro earphones, bluetooth devices, special clothes fitted with devices, button-hole cameras, tablet computer, wireless ear plugs, electric solders, fitting equipments, as well as cash were recovered in the searches.
According to preliminary information, the gang was allegedly involved in a number of similar rackets that worked in national level entrance examinations, and is being probed.
In Chandigarh, CBI`s DIG Mahesh Aggarwal said seven medical students were caught using hi-fi gadgets to cheat during the exam from four separate centres.
"We acted on a tip off and caught the girls, hailing from different parts of India, from four centres here. We also checked all the remaining seven centres where the examination was under progress," he said.
"The modus operandi adopted by the accused was that they were sending out question papers using these gadgets and answers were being passed back to them through the same route," Aggarwal said.
In one case, a miniature device, which a girl had kept plugged inside her ear, got embedded inside, sources said, adding that she had to undergo a surgical procedure at PGIMER to take it out.
"We have booked the accused for cheating," Aggarwal said.
About 7,000 aspirants from various parts of the country were taking the examination, which is conducted twice a year, PGIMER`s spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!