18 devotees killed in Punjab accident
Moga (Punjab): At least 18 devotees, including six women and five children, were killed early Monday in a head-on collision between a jeep and a truck near Punjab`s Moga town, police said. Eleven victims belonged to one family and six to another.
The accident took place on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur highway around 2 am, near here, 170 kms from Chandigarh.
The jeep was badly mangled following the accident and rescuers had to cut it at places to get the bodies out.
Police said 14 people were killed on the spot while four others succumbed to their injuries in a hospital in Moga.
"All those killed in the accident were travelling in the jeep," a police official at the site said.
Police said the speeding truck, which was trying to overtake another vehicle, collided head-on with the jeep. The truck driver fled the spot, leaving his vehicle behind.
The victims belonged to Daulatpura village in Moga district and were returning from a gurdwara (Sikh temple) in Nanaksar near Jagraon town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’