18 devotees killed in Punjab accident
Moga (Punjab): At least 18 devotees, including six women and five children, were killed early Monday in a head-on collision between a jeep and a truck near Punjab`s Moga town, police said. Eleven victims belonged to one family and six to another.
The accident took place on the Ludhiana-Ferozepur highway around 2 am, near here, 170 kms from Chandigarh.
The jeep was badly mangled following the accident and rescuers had to cut it at places to get the bodies out.
Police said 14 people were killed on the spot while four others succumbed to their injuries in a hospital in Moga.
"All those killed in the accident were travelling in the jeep," a police official at the site said.
Police said the speeding truck, which was trying to overtake another vehicle, collided head-on with the jeep. The truck driver fled the spot, leaving his vehicle behind.
The victims belonged to Daulatpura village in Moga district and were returning from a gurdwara (Sikh temple) in Nanaksar near Jagraon town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections