1984 anti-Sikh riots: Akal Takht asks Sarna to take back case
Amritsar: Akal Takht, the top temporal seat of Sikhs, on Friday asked former chief of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, Parmjit Singh Sarna, to withdraw a court case challenging a proposed memorial in Delhi`s Rakab Ganj gurdwara for those killed in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Takht had summoned Sarna for creating hurdles in the construction of the memorial.
Disapproving of the plea of Sarna and his cousin, Jathedar Gyani Gurbachan Singh asked them do regular service (sewa) in the community kitchen of Rakab Ganj gurdwara.
He also asked them to recite and listen to Sikh religious scriptures for three days, besides arranging Akhand Path seeking welfare of the riot-affected families.
Sarna told reporters that in his explanation to the Takht, he said he never opposed construction of the memorial, but had objections over it coming up near the shrine already dedicated to Guru Teg Bahdur Sahib.
"I was never against the memorial, but it should never be built near the shrine already dedicated to Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib. I had suggested other venue for the memorial," he said.
"Decision taken by the five Sikh head priests is binding upon me. As a humble Sikh, I respect the pious Akal Takht and will follow every direction given to me," Sarna said.
Sarna had recently moved to Delhi High Court challenging DSGMC president Manjit Singh GK`s announcement to build the memorial.
Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal), which had swept the DSGMC elections recently, had announced to build a memorial for the victims of 1984 anti-Sikh riots of Delhi.
This is the second time a memorial related to the Sikh community has been embroiled in controversy.
The recently-inaugurated memorial of Operation Blue Star in Golden Temple complex in Amritsar had also drawn protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand