2002 kidney scam: Police officer, 5 govt doctors sentenced
Amritsar: A court here on Friday gave eight years imprisonment to a former Haryana police officer and five year jail term to five doctors in connection with the 2002 kidney scam.
Former police inspector Suresh Kumar was held guilty for receiving a kidney through illegal means.
On November 2, Additional District and Sessions Judge GS Bakshi had held the policeman and the doctors guilty in the case.
17-year-old Bagicha Singh`s kidney was transplanted to Suresh.
Bagicha was taken by a middleman to the inspector`s house in Chandigarh, and was later "forced" to donate his kidney.
In 2002, a criminal case was registered in the local police station wherein the kidney of the minor was allegedly extracted from his body fraudulently.
The five doctors who were held guilty were former Government Medical College (GMC) principal Dr OP Mahajan, the then head of Forensic Department of GMC Dr Jagdish Gargi, Dr SK Grover, Dr HS Bhutani and Dr Rajinder Singh.
At that time Dr Mahajan was the principal-cum-chairman of Kidney Transplant Authorisation Committee (KTAC) of GMC Amritsar and Dr Gargi was member of the KTAC.
The FIR said that the minor was forced at gun point to donate his kidney.
This was one of the cases of the infamous kidney scam while two more cases are still pending in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad