23 panchayats enter ruling Akali fold in Amritsar
Amritsar: Congress on Wednesday suffered a jolt in the border belt of Amritsar district when 23 panchayats of the Baba Bakala assembly constituency joined the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD).
Punjab Revenue and Public Relations Minister Bikram Singh Majithia and MLA of Baba Bakala constituency Manjit Singh Manna welcomed them, the ex-chairman of Market Committee, Majitha, Karnail Singh Nag and some Congress workers during functions held at villages Dhoolka and Naag Navein.
"This is an indication of Congress` total collapse in the state before upcoming local bodies elections," Majithia claimed.
He hoped that the SAD-BJP combine "would get full majority" in the elections "by defeating its political rival with a big margin."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog