29-year-old woman gang-raped in Punjab, five arrested
Gurdaspur (Punjab): In a gruesome reminder of the Delhi gang-rape, a 29-year-old woman was allegedly abducted from a bus and gang-raped by seven men here on Friday night, according to the police.
As per reports five of the accused including the driver and conductor of the bus, who took turns to rape the woman through the night, have been taken into custody.
The victim, a resident of a Ghukla village under Kahnuwan police station, was on way to her village in a bus when the driver and conductor kidnapped her and took her an undisclosed location where they and their five accomplices gang-raped her last night, SSP Gurdaspur Raj Jeet Singh told reporters.
The SSP said five of the seven accused had been arrested while two unidentified persons were still absconding.
He said that based on the interrogation of the five accused, efforts were on to arrest the remaining accused.
The victim in her complaint said that she was coming from her parent’s village Jagatpur district Pathankot in a bus but the driver Daler Singh did not stop the vehicle at the bus stand in the village.
Her request to conductor Ravi to ask the driver to stop the bus went unnoticed.
They took her to some place near Gurdaspur, where five of their friends joined them and gang-raped the woman in a house, the police official said.
The next morning, the driver dumped the woman near her village, he said adding, first she went to her house and them came to the police station to make her complaint.
A case under section 376 of IPC (punishment for rape) was registered against the seven accused, Singh said.
The five arrested were identified as Daler Singh, Ravi, Jaswinder Singh, Jagpreet Singh and Satwant Singh, he said.
Police said that the FIR was registered this evening.
The woman would be sent for medical examination, they said adding in the preliminary interrogation, the accused confessed to their crime.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble