29-year-old woman gang-raped in Punjab, five arrested
Gurdaspur (Punjab): In a gruesome reminder of the Delhi gang-rape, a 29-year-old woman was allegedly abducted from a bus and gang-raped by seven men here on Friday night, according to the police.
As per reports five of the accused including the driver and conductor of the bus, who took turns to rape the woman through the night, have been taken into custody.
The victim, a resident of a Ghukla village under Kahnuwan police station, was on way to her village in a bus when the driver and conductor kidnapped her and took her an undisclosed location where they and their five accomplices gang-raped her last night, SSP Gurdaspur Raj Jeet Singh told reporters.
The SSP said five of the seven accused had been arrested while two unidentified persons were still absconding.
He said that based on the interrogation of the five accused, efforts were on to arrest the remaining accused.
The victim in her complaint said that she was coming from her parent’s village Jagatpur district Pathankot in a bus but the driver Daler Singh did not stop the vehicle at the bus stand in the village.
Her request to conductor Ravi to ask the driver to stop the bus went unnoticed.
They took her to some place near Gurdaspur, where five of their friends joined them and gang-raped the woman in a house, the police official said.
The next morning, the driver dumped the woman near her village, he said adding, first she went to her house and them came to the police station to make her complaint.
A case under section 376 of IPC (punishment for rape) was registered against the seven accused, Singh said.
The five arrested were identified as Daler Singh, Ravi, Jaswinder Singh, Jagpreet Singh and Satwant Singh, he said.
Police said that the FIR was registered this evening.
The woman would be sent for medical examination, they said adding in the preliminary interrogation, the accused confessed to their crime.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list