408 child labourers rescued in Punjab
Chandigarh: Labour department in Punjab has successfully rescued over 408 children engaged as child labour in the state.
The children were rescued during a special drive from 17 to 23 June this year, when the state was observing child labour eradication week.
State labour minister Surjit Kumar Jayani on Monday said, during the course of the drive, special teams were constituted under Deputy Commissioners concerned and raids were conducted at 8,964 different centres.
During raids, 408 cases of child labour were detected and 337 offenders were issued challans for the offence, he said.
Among these cases, 203 children were found to be working in dangerous occupations. Maximum 99 cases of child labour were found in Ludhiana district, 59 in Sangrur, 47 in Amritsar and 31 in Jalandhar district, Jayani said.
Besides these raids, special seminars were organised for sensitising people so that children belonging to poor families could also enjoy their childhood, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY