408 child labourers rescued in Punjab
Chandigarh: Labour department in Punjab has successfully rescued over 408 children engaged as child labour in the state.
The children were rescued during a special drive from 17 to 23 June this year, when the state was observing child labour eradication week.
State labour minister Surjit Kumar Jayani on Monday said, during the course of the drive, special teams were constituted under Deputy Commissioners concerned and raids were conducted at 8,964 different centres.
During raids, 408 cases of child labour were detected and 337 offenders were issued challans for the offence, he said.
Among these cases, 203 children were found to be working in dangerous occupations. Maximum 99 cases of child labour were found in Ludhiana district, 59 in Sangrur, 47 in Amritsar and 31 in Jalandhar district, Jayani said.
Besides these raids, special seminars were organised for sensitising people so that children belonging to poor families could also enjoy their childhood, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened