62 of 71 defeated Cong candidates back Amarinder
Chandigarh: In a boost to beleagured Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh, whose removal has been
demanded by some senior party leaders following the drubbing
in recent assembly polls, on Thursday got the support of 62 of the
71 Congress candidates.
The 62 Congress candidates, in a joint statement here,
opposed a move by some partymen, including Amarinder`s known
detractor Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, for putting the entire blame
of Congress` defeat on Amarinder.
Maintaining that there were several other factors which
influenced the poll outcome, they appreciated the leadership
of Amarinder for leading the party to secure "maximum number
of votes" across the state.
The candidates questioned the attempts by "certain vested
interests within the party, some of whom had either no
standing or were a spent force", for leading a "malicious"
campaign driven by "personal agendas" against Amarinder.
They said but for "vigorous" efforts of Amarinder, the
party could have fared worse in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%
- Arun Jaitley may not read out new trains, lines after budget merger
- RBI launches Sept round of inflation expectation survey