62 of 71 defeated Cong candidates back Amarinder
Chandigarh: In a boost to beleagured Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh, whose removal has been
demanded by some senior party leaders following the drubbing
in recent assembly polls, on Thursday got the support of 62 of the
71 Congress candidates.
The 62 Congress candidates, in a joint statement here,
opposed a move by some partymen, including Amarinder`s known
detractor Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, for putting the entire blame
of Congress` defeat on Amarinder.
Maintaining that there were several other factors which
influenced the poll outcome, they appreciated the leadership
of Amarinder for leading the party to secure "maximum number
of votes" across the state.
The candidates questioned the attempts by "certain vested
interests within the party, some of whom had either no
standing or were a spent force", for leading a "malicious"
campaign driven by "personal agendas" against Amarinder.
They said but for "vigorous" efforts of Amarinder, the
party could have fared worse in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Swachh Bharat, Skill India 'transformative' schemes: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Restless Leg Syndrome: Treat the disorder with this amazingly simple trick! - Watch video
- Boris Johnson claims India owes UK multi-million pounds
- Trump's NATO comments show 'lack of preparedness': Obama
- Govt should resist urge of control everything: Arun Jaitley