62 of 71 defeated Cong candidates back Amarinder
Chandigarh: In a boost to beleagured Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh, whose removal has been
demanded by some senior party leaders following the drubbing
in recent assembly polls, on Thursday got the support of 62 of the
71 Congress candidates.
The 62 Congress candidates, in a joint statement here,
opposed a move by some partymen, including Amarinder`s known
detractor Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, for putting the entire blame
of Congress` defeat on Amarinder.
Maintaining that there were several other factors which
influenced the poll outcome, they appreciated the leadership
of Amarinder for leading the party to secure "maximum number
of votes" across the state.
The candidates questioned the attempts by "certain vested
interests within the party, some of whom had either no
standing or were a spent force", for leading a "malicious"
campaign driven by "personal agendas" against Amarinder.
They said but for "vigorous" efforts of Amarinder, the
party could have fared worse in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’