62 of 71 defeated Cong candidates back Amarinder
Chandigarh: In a boost to beleagured Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh, whose removal has been
demanded by some senior party leaders following the drubbing
in recent assembly polls, on Thursday got the support of 62 of the
71 Congress candidates.
The 62 Congress candidates, in a joint statement here,
opposed a move by some partymen, including Amarinder`s known
detractor Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, for putting the entire blame
of Congress` defeat on Amarinder.
Maintaining that there were several other factors which
influenced the poll outcome, they appreciated the leadership
of Amarinder for leading the party to secure "maximum number
of votes" across the state.
The candidates questioned the attempts by "certain vested
interests within the party, some of whom had either no
standing or were a spent force", for leading a "malicious"
campaign driven by "personal agendas" against Amarinder.
They said but for "vigorous" efforts of Amarinder, the
party could have fared worse in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi