62 of 71 defeated Cong candidates back Amarinder
Chandigarh: In a boost to beleagured Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh, whose removal has been
demanded by some senior party leaders following the drubbing
in recent assembly polls, on Thursday got the support of 62 of the
71 Congress candidates.
The 62 Congress candidates, in a joint statement here,
opposed a move by some partymen, including Amarinder`s known
detractor Rajinder Kaur Bhattal, for putting the entire blame
of Congress` defeat on Amarinder.
Maintaining that there were several other factors which
influenced the poll outcome, they appreciated the leadership
of Amarinder for leading the party to secure "maximum number
of votes" across the state.
The candidates questioned the attempts by "certain vested
interests within the party, some of whom had either no
standing or were a spent force", for leading a "malicious"
campaign driven by "personal agendas" against Amarinder.
They said but for "vigorous" efforts of Amarinder, the
party could have fared worse in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days