Aadhaar card enrolment 99 percent in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: The enrolment for Aadhaar card has touched 99 per cent and 88.6 per cent in Union Territory of Chandigarh and Himachal Pradesh respectively.
The enrolment figure under the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) scheme in Punjab and Haryana is 62.9 per cent and 30.1 per cent respectively so far, Keshni Anand Arora, UIDAI, Deputy Director General (Northern Region), said.
"We are aiming to cover the entire population in these three states and the Union Territory by December this year," she said.
In Chandigarh, as many as 10.43 lakh people out of a total population 10.55 lakh have been covered under the UIDAI scheme, Arora said.
In Punjab, 1.74 crore have got Aadhaar card enrolment out of 2.77 crore, she said.
Barring two districts ? Mansa (33.1 per cent) and Tarn Taran (39.9 per cent), the Aadhaar enrolment in Punjab has been above 50 per cent, the Deputy Director General said.
In Haryana, only 76.44 lakh people have been enrolled against the total population of 2.54 crore.
Out of 21 districts in the state, only two have seen more than 50 per cent coverage under the scheme, Arora said
These two districts are Ambala (86.6 per cent) and Sonipat (75), she said.
To quicken the process of card enrolment, UIDAI has proposed a penalty of Rs 500 on the agencies for any delay in uploading of the data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH