Absconding MLA surrenders before Panchkula court
Chandigarh: Newly-elected legislator from Himachal Pradesh, Ram Kumar Chaudhary, who was absconding for past few weeks in connection with the murder of a girl, Tuesday surrendered before a Panchkula Court.
The Haryana police had announced a cash reward of Rs two lakh to anyone for providing information leading to his arrest.
"The MLA surrendered before CJM (Chief Judicial Magistrate`s) Court in Panchkula today. We have taken him into custody and he will be produced before a Panchkula court later on," Haryana Police`s Additional Director General (ADGP), K K Sharma said.
Yesterday, the Haryana Police also announced a cash reward of Rs 50,000 each for the three other accused in the case Paramjeet alias Pamma of village Haripur Sandoli, Baddi, HP, Dharampal alias Maddu of Haripur Sandoli, Baddi and Gurmeet Singh of Housing Board Colony, Baddi, district Solan, (HP).
A special police team headed by Ashok Kumar, DCP Ambala had been camping in Dharamsala, HP, to execute fresh warrants of arrest issued by Panchkula court on January 5 against the accused.
Haryana DGP S N Vashisht had also sent a request to his Himachal Pradesh counterpart with a copy of warrants of arrest for seeking help of HP Police in arresting the fugitives.
The MLA was wanted by Haryana Police in connection with the murder of a young girl, a native of Hoshiarpur in Punjab, who was found dead in Panchkula on November 22.
The post-mortem report of the girl confirmed that she died of head injuries. It was only after the investigation of the victim`s cell phone details, the role of MLA came under scanner.
Butti Ram, father of Jyoti, had filed a complaint with Haryana police alleging that Chaudhary had close links with his daughter and he could be involved in the murder.
Ram also alleged that Chaudhary had visited his house during the marriage of his younger daughter in September 2009.
Ram Kumar, general secretary of Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee, recently won from Doon constituency in Baddi.
He is the son of four-time Congress MLA, Lajja Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof