Admit defeat gracefully: Badal to Congress
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Wednesday asked state Congress leaders to accept their party`s defeat in Zila Parishad and Block Samiti polls with "grace, humility and democratic dignity".
The Congress party`s refusal to accept the people`s mandate with humility was surprising, he said.
"In a democracy, only the people are sovereign. No sane and responsible political party or leader will ever question their wisdom or insult the popular mandate as the Congress is doing now," Badal said.
The Congress needed to do some honest soul-searching if it wanted to remain relevant in the state, he said.
The ruling SAD-BJP combine in Punjab had notched up an emphatic win in Zila Parishad and Block Samiti polls romping home in majority of the seats.
The Congress-Peoples Party of Punjab alliance suffered a rout in the elections, polling for which was held on May 19.
Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa had dismissed as "mischievous" the SAD-BJP`s claim of landslide victory.
"It is not a popular mandate," he had said yesterday.
Badal said the main reason for the Congress` humiliation in Zila Parishad and Block Samiti elections was its failure to focus on people`s issues.
"The Congress must admit it has failed miserably to put its finger on pulse of the people who want peace, communal harmony and development," the Chief Minister said.
"Accept the defeat with grace, humility and democratic dignity," he advised the Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands