Aide of Namdhari sect head shot dead in Punjab
Ludhiana: Avtar Singh Tari, a close aide of Namdhari sect head Jagjit Singh, was shot dead by two motorcycle borne youths here on Tuesday, police said.
According to the police, the murder was the result of Tari`s personal enmity over the issue of succession in the sect.
Tari was shot dead with an AK-47 rifle at Katani Kalan village near Sahnewal town.
"There were at least six bullet wounds on the body and it has been sent for post-mortem. We have also found empty shells at the spot and they are being sent to a forensic lab for testing," a police officer said here.
One person has been booked in the case.
Police Commissioner Ishwar Singh said: "We have booked Thakur Dalip Singh, who is the relative of Namdhari head (Jagjit Singh). Earlier too Tari had lodged an FIR against Dalip, in 2001 at Mohali, alleging attempt to murder."
Ludhiana city is around 100 km from state capital Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed