Aide of Namdhari sect head shot dead in Punjab
Ludhiana: Avtar Singh Tari, a close aide of Namdhari sect head Jagjit Singh, was shot dead by two motorcycle borne youths here on Tuesday, police said.
According to the police, the murder was the result of Tari`s personal enmity over the issue of succession in the sect.
Tari was shot dead with an AK-47 rifle at Katani Kalan village near Sahnewal town.
"There were at least six bullet wounds on the body and it has been sent for post-mortem. We have also found empty shells at the spot and they are being sent to a forensic lab for testing," a police officer said here.
One person has been booked in the case.
Police Commissioner Ishwar Singh said: "We have booked Thakur Dalip Singh, who is the relative of Namdhari head (Jagjit Singh). Earlier too Tari had lodged an FIR against Dalip, in 2001 at Mohali, alleging attempt to murder."
Ludhiana city is around 100 km from state capital Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row