Akal Takht bans Guru Granth Sahib in homes with liquor bars
Amritsar: Akal Takht, the highest temporal body of the Sikhs, has ruled that the Guru Granth Sahib cannot be kept in homes which have bars or where tobacco or intoxicants are consumed.
"It has been decided that Guru Granth Sahib (the holiest scripture of the Sikhs) cannot be placed in a house or location where liquor bars and substances having ingredients like tobacco, intoxicants and halal meat exist," Akal Takhat Jatehdar (head) Gyani Gurbachan Singh said.
"In the Sikh religion, Guru Granth Sahib is treated as a living master and keeping it in houses with liquor bars is no less than a direct disrespect to it," Singh said.
The Jathedar said the Guru Granth Sahib cannot be even temporarily placed in houses with liquor bars.
Singh said `Akhand Path` can only be organised in gurdwaras or homes with hygienic atmosphere and not at roadside `samadhs` or any other objectionable places.
"Any family or place where halal meat, hookah, charas, tobacco or any kind of intoxicants are consumed are strictly banned to organise Akhand Path of Guru Granth Sahib," the Jathedar said.
Akhand Path should be held either at homes or any place where Sikh ethics are strictly adhered to.
The Jathedar also advised Sikhs to abstain from consumption of intoxicants.
The decision has been taken on suggestions from Sikh intellectuals, heads of Sikh religious bodies and various Sikh scholars, the Jathedar said.
He said the directive will be valid all over the world and every true Sikh is bound to follow it in letter and spirit.
"Violation of the directive will amount to religious punishment since it would be treated a blasphemous act," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'