Akal Takht in Punjab voice support for Hazare
Chandigarh: Akal Takht, the temporal seat of
Sikhs, on Friday voiced support to the campaign against corruption
launched by Anna Hazare and his team and urged the Prime
Minister to give it due consideration.
Support also poured in from political parties in Punjab
as ruling Shiromani Akali Dal chief Sukhbir Singh Badal and
People`s Party of Punjab led by his bete noire Manpreet
Singh Badal expressed solidarity with Hazare`s campaign for a
strong Lokpall Bill.
"We support the movement of Hazare and ask the Prime
Minister also to do the same," Akal Takht head Gurbachan Singh
"If the Prime Minister too supports the movement of Hazare
it will further raise his image in the country," he said.
Terming the arrest of Hazare as "murder of democracy and
democratic values", SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal said,
"We will not allow Congress to undermine the freedom of the
people of the country."
SAD activists staged protests in front of offices of
Deputy Commissioners for two hours to express solidarity with
The estranged nephew of Chief Minister Parkash Singh
Badal, Manpreet, said, "People`s Party of Punjab fully
supports the protest by Hazare.... We too will hold district
level demonstrations in support of the Gandhian."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?