Akal Takht in Punjab voice support for Hazare
Chandigarh: Akal Takht, the temporal seat of
Sikhs, on Friday voiced support to the campaign against corruption
launched by Anna Hazare and his team and urged the Prime
Minister to give it due consideration.
Support also poured in from political parties in Punjab
as ruling Shiromani Akali Dal chief Sukhbir Singh Badal and
People`s Party of Punjab led by his bete noire Manpreet
Singh Badal expressed solidarity with Hazare`s campaign for a
strong Lokpall Bill.
"We support the movement of Hazare and ask the Prime
Minister also to do the same," Akal Takht head Gurbachan Singh
"If the Prime Minister too supports the movement of Hazare
it will further raise his image in the country," he said.
Terming the arrest of Hazare as "murder of democracy and
democratic values", SAD president Sukhbir Singh Badal said,
"We will not allow Congress to undermine the freedom of the
people of the country."
SAD activists staged protests in front of offices of
Deputy Commissioners for two hours to express solidarity with
The estranged nephew of Chief Minister Parkash Singh
Badal, Manpreet, said, "People`s Party of Punjab fully
supports the protest by Hazare.... We too will hold district
level demonstrations in support of the Gandhian."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi