Akal Takht steps in, Sikh leaders call off congregation
Amritsar: Congregations of Sikhs here and in Karnal against the formation of a separate Gurdwara Management Committee in Haryana were on Saturday called off after the Akal Takht`s intervention but Haryana Sikhs today went ahead with the election of office-bearers for the ad-hoc committee.
In a bid to defuse the situation, the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhs, stepped in by directing calling off all Sikh congregations planned by ruling Akali Dal here tomorrow and in Karnal on Monday against Haryana`s decision to create a separate committee to manage Gurdwaras in the state.
Governor-designate Kaptan Singh Solanki, who is tipped to be sworn-in in a day or two, said he would look into the whole issue once he takes over but his personal opinion was that the Centre`s directive against Haryana government`s new law "must be obeyed".
As tensions mounted, Jathedar Akal Takht Giani Gurbachan Singh issued a directive to all Sikhs of Haryana, the ruling SAD (Badal) and the entire Sikh community not to hold any kind rally or convention tomorrow in Amritsar and in Karnal on Monday by Haryana-based Sikh leaders that could lead to further tension.
Punjab`s ruling Akali Dal and Haryana Sikhs subsequently announced calling off their respective conventions which were scheduled to be held at Amritsar and Karnal.
Meanwhile, a congregation of Haryana Sikhs in Kurukshetra elected Jagdish Singh Jhinda and Didar Singh Nalvi, who spearheaded the movement for formation of separate SGPC for the state, as the President and Senior Vice President respectively of the newly notified 41-member ad-hoc HSGPC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels