Akali leader gets 1 year in jail in cheque bounce case
Ludhiana: A General Secretary of the ruling Akali Dal and a former Lok Sabha member has been awarded one year sentence by a local court in a cheque bounce case.
The Akali leader Bibi Rajinder Kaur Bulara was, however, granted bail subsequently.
The court of Judicial Magistrate Ekta Sahota yesterday also imposed a penalty of Rs 5,000 on her.
Jagmohan Singh, a resident of village Pamkodi, had alleged that Bulara had taken Rs 9 lakh from him on the promise that she would help him in getting an LPG agency, but no such allotment was made.
Later, they reached a compromise in 2005 and two cheques were issued to Jagmohan Singh for Rs 5 lakh and Rs 2 lakh respectively.
However, both the cheques were dishonoured by the bank due to insufficient funds in the account of the former MP, a Lok Sabha member in late 1970s, the prosecution had submitted before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown