Akali leader gets 1 year in jail in cheque bounce case
Ludhiana: A General Secretary of the ruling Akali Dal and a former Lok Sabha member has been awarded one year sentence by a local court in a cheque bounce case.
The Akali leader Bibi Rajinder Kaur Bulara was, however, granted bail subsequently.
The court of Judicial Magistrate Ekta Sahota yesterday also imposed a penalty of Rs 5,000 on her.
Jagmohan Singh, a resident of village Pamkodi, had alleged that Bulara had taken Rs 9 lakh from him on the promise that she would help him in getting an LPG agency, but no such allotment was made.
Later, they reached a compromise in 2005 and two cheques were issued to Jagmohan Singh for Rs 5 lakh and Rs 2 lakh respectively.
However, both the cheques were dishonoured by the bank due to insufficient funds in the account of the former MP, a Lok Sabha member in late 1970s, the prosecution had submitted before the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand