Akali MLA brokers peace between Dera followers, radicals
Moga: Peace was restored between Dera Sacha Sauda followers and radical Sikhs on Friday three days after they clashed with each other at Dhudike village in the district.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal deputed SAD MLA Tota Singh to hold parleys with members of both groups and convince them to bridge their differences. The district authorities arranged the meeting of Tota Singh with the warring groups, officials said.
Tota Singh managed to bring the warring groups closer for a "permanent solution" so that such clashes do not reoccur, officials said.
The meeting, which was held here late last night, was attended by Tota Singh and Akali leader Harinder Singh Rania; Gurmail Singh Sangatpura and Jugraj Singh Daudhar (SGPC members), Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) leader Ravinder Singh Dhaliwal, and Lakhbir Singh, Chairman of Educational institutions of Dhudike and representatives of Dera.
The officials said the meeting was held in a "cordial" atmosphere with both sides agreeing to bury the differences between them, sources said.
Even as both groups pledged not to resort to violence again, heavy deployment of police personnel continued at Dhudike village to maintain the law and order.
During the clash which broke out on Tuesday after certain radical Sikh protested a congregation by Dera followers, at least six Dera followers and three policemen were injured and some vehicles were burnt by a mob.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists