Akali MLA’s nephew surrenders in hotelier murder case
Chandigarh: Amidst pressure from all quarters, Akali Dal MLA Sarabjit Singh Makkar’s nephew Prince, who is accused of shooting down a prominent Jalandhar hotelier, surrendered before the Punjab police along with his three accomplices on Friday.
It was earlier reported that the police was trying to shield Prince, however, the pressure from the state’s Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal finally led to this surrender.
Though, the surrender is being seen as a mere eyewash as Punjab is due to go to polls next year and the state government is trying to salvage its image by staying away from such controversies.
Reports also claim that Prince’s family has hired some prominent lawyers to defend him in the court and the surrender is an outcome of their advice.
The matter first came to light on Thursday when it was reported that Ram Simran Singh Makkar alias Prince Makkar had shot dead a prominent Jalandhar hotelier over some altercation with him and was absconding since then.
Gurkirat Singh was the owner of the city’s prominent Selkhon Grand Hotel.
Prince Makkar is also politically active since he is a municipal councilor, while his uncle Sarabjit Makkar is the MLA from Adampur.
Gurkirat Singh was rushed to a private hospital nearby but he could not be saved and breathed his last one hour later. His body was later shifted to the civil hospital, where the post-mortem was performed yesterday.
Intriguingly, Prince and Gurkirat Singh were known to be close buddies and used to party together, but what led Prince to kill his friend is yet to be ascertained.
At the time of the incident, Prince was accompanied by three others- Jasdeep Singh (owner of Regent Park hotel), Prince Narula, and Sunny Sachdeva. All of them fled from the scene after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi