Akali sarpanch slaps lady teacher in Punjab
Chandigarh: A leader of Punjab`s ruling
Shiromani Akali Dal has repeatedly slapped a lady teacher, who
was demanding a permanent job, at a function in Muktsar
district, sparking an outrage after which the state government
ordered filing of an FIR against him.
The lady Varinder Kaur was part of a delegation of
teachers who wanted to meet Bhatinda MP Harsimrat Kaur
Badal, the wife of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal
at the function yesterday.
A scuffle broke out between the teachers` delegation,
which wanted to submit a memorandum to Harsimrat Kaur
demanding regularization of their job, and Akali Dal workers
who wanted the delegation to leave the place.
Balwinder Singh, Akali Dal sarpanch of Daula village,
caught hold of Varinder Kaur and slapped her many times,
Education Guarantee Scheme (EGS) Teachers Association
President Pritpal Singh said.
"Balwinder Singh manhandled me and beat me up," Kaur
said and added EGS Jalandhar unit chief Jarnail Singh was also
slapped and picked up by police.
The police also locked up the teachers in a house to
ensure a smooth conduct of the function", the sources said,
adding the teachers have lodged a complaint against Balwinder
demanding his arrest.
Police said a case has been registered against members
of both the parties.
The incident drew condemnation from across the political
spetrum in and the state government today ordered lodging of
an FIR against the sarpanch.
An official spokesman said IG Zonal has been asked to
inquire into the incident and submit a report at the earliest.
Chief Parkash Singh Badal said "I condemn this act. We will
take action against the sarpanch as per law".
Opposition Congress demanded registration of a
criminal case against Balwinder Singh and said "it was a
perfect example of Jungle `Raj`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000