Akalis, BJP equally responsible for Operation Bluestar: Amarinder
Amritsar: Former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Saturday said the Akalis and BJP were as much responsible for the Operation Bluestar as the Congress which was then in power both at the Centre and in the state.
Singh, who is the Congress candidate from the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat, said while the Operation Bluestar was carried out by the Congress government, SAD chief Parkash Singh Badal and BJP leader LK Advani had recommended it.
The Congress candidate claimed both Badal and Advani were equally responsible for the operation against Sikh militants hiding in the Golden Temple, and asked whether they were ready to apologise like Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had done.
Addressing a press meet here,Singh agreed to a suggestion that a `Fact Finding Commission` could be set up to reveal the actual truth about the Operation Bluestar and the people responsible for it.
On reply to Singh`s comments about Advani, senior BJP leader and party candidate from the seat Arun Jaitley said, "Well I did not know that Capt Amarinder Singh had such a poor impression of (then Prime Minister) Indira Gandhi that she was acting under Advani`s pressure."
"...She is no more in this world. So he (Singh) should show a better tribute to her than saying she acted under Advani`s pressure," Jaitley added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged