Akalis turned Patiala into virtual slum: Preneet
Patiala: The ruling SAD-BJP government in Punjab has "discriminated" against Patiala during its last eight years of rule as people of the constituency have always voted and supported Congress, former Union minister Preneet Kaur said on Sunday.
Kaur, who is contesting the Patiala (Urban) assembly bypoll in Punjab, said "despite being an MP from Patiala earlier, at times it was difficult for her to get development funds released for various works."
"This was clearly being done at the behest of the Akali government which did not want any development to take place here even when the money was not theirs," the Congress leader said.
Kaur appealed to the people of the city to compare the five years of Congress rule with last eight years of Akali rule which, she allged, had turned a city like Patiala into a virtual slum.
"The condition of the city, particularly in interior areas, has gone from bad to worse," she said.
It was the Congress government which started Rajiv Gandhi Law University here, built several flyovers, spent Rs 126 crores for sewage project in Anand Nagar, upgraded Rajindera Medical College to Super Speciality Hospital and launched many other projects.
Kaur said during the Congress rule when her husband Amarinder Singh was the Chief Minister, Patiala had seen a massive turnaround in terms of development and civic amenities.
The bypoll to Patiala (Urban) city will be held on August 21.
Kaur is locked in a straight contest with SAD`s Bhagwan Dass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo