Amarinder accuses Badal of raking up Bluestar for poll gains
Chandigarh: Accusing Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal of raking up Operation Bluestar for political gains, Congress leader Amarinder Singh questioned his silence on the issue for a long time.
Asserting that Badal was in the habit of raking up the issue at the time of elections to promote himself, he said Badal always exploited the sentiments of innocent people and then shirked away from responsibility.
The former Chief Minister also questioned Badal`s silence over the involvement of BJP and RSS workers and leaders in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Referring to the details, Amarinder said that on May 26, 1984, a meeting was held at a Delhi guest house where Badal, along with two of his colleagues, met three central ministers. While the two colleagues left for Punjab after the meeting, Badal went into hiding in his Bazpur farmhouse in UP.
On June 1, 1984 the police and CRPF cordoned off the Darbar Sahab, but Badal failed to keep his promise to confront military operation and physically prevent the Army from entering the Darbar Sahib, Amarinder said.
"You ran away to Bazpur and hid yourself in a farmhouse, only to emerge after everything was over," he said, adding that Badal was raking up the issue for political gains ahead of the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?