Amarinder reiterates his stand on Jat reservation
Patiala: Former Punjab Congress president Amarinder Singh on Friday reiterated that denying reservation to Jat Sikhs in Punjab was not justified as members of the community had been provided the benefit in other states.
Singh, a former Chief Minister of Punjab, said he had sought the reservation Jat Sikhs in his capacity as the president of the All India Jat Maha Sabha. Besides, he added, the reservation benefits cannot be provided in parts, it must be granted uniformly across the country.
While Jats in nine states have been granted reservation, in the four remaining states, including Punjab, where the Jats have a significant presence have been excluded from this benefit, he said, adding that "it is not justified".
Reacting to the statements of senior party leaders at the Jor Mela yesterday, the former CM said if Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa, former chief Shamsher Singh Dullon and former CM Rajinder Kaur Bhattal can convince Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to introduce reservations on economic basis he would also support it.
He, however, said as long as it has been granted on the basis of caste there is no reason that why the people of the same caste residing in different regions should be denied the benefit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow