Amarinder Singh raps Jagmeet Brar for his remarks on Gandhi family
Patiala: Congress Deputy Leader in the Lok Sabha Amarinder Singh on Saturday condemned the statement of senior leader Jagmeet Singh Brar, who has created a flutter with his remarks pertaining to the party`s senior leadership.
"It was unfortunate that a senior leader like Brar had broken the party discipline and criticised the party leadership," the Amritsar MP told reporters outside the SDM`s office here.
He was accompanying his wife and Congress candidate Preneet Kaur for filing her nomination papers from Patiala Urban Assembly segment for the bypolls.
The former Punjab Chief Minister said it was wrong to single out Rahul Gandhi for the party`s debacle in the last general elections.
He pointed out that Rahul Gandhi had unanimously been chosen by the party to lead the campaign as its vice president.
He said there were multiple factors for the party`s debacle.
"Senior leaders like Brar are not expected to behave like the leaders of Opposition," he remarked, while adding, "It was outright absurd to seek Rahul Gandhi`s resignation."
State Congress president Pratap Singh Bajwa today issued show cause notice to Brar seeking explanation for his conduct by August 5.
As former Union minister Natwar Singh`s autobiography continued to raise a political storm, Amarinder Singh while replying to a question, said it was not proper for anyone in going public with private information that was shared with him in confidence.
Earlier, Preneet Kaur filed her nomination papers from Patiala Urban constituency on the last day of filing today.
A total of 10 candidates from Patiala and nine candidates from Talwandi Sabo Assembly constituencies have filed their papers till the last day of nominations to the bypolls for the two seats, scheduled for August 21.
Before filing the nomination papers she met about 35 MLAs, ex-MLAs and other senior party leaders who had come to greet her before going to submit her nomination papers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video