Amarinder warns SAD-BJP govt against `legalising` drug trade
Amritsar: Former Chief Minister and Congress candidate from Amritsar Lok Sabha seat Amarinder Singh on Friday lashed out at the SAD-BJP government in Punjab after an MP of the coalition reportedly suggested that drug trade should be legalised in the state.
"I will not allow this government to write the death warrant of an entire young generation," Amarinder, who is locked in a keen tussle with senior BJP leader Arun Jaitely, told reporters here.
Referring to the MP`s reported statement, Amarinder said it only vindicated Congress`s charges that the ruling outfit was patronising drug trafficking.
Amarinder asked Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal "to have a heart and feel about the plight of those who have fallen prey to this scourge", while quoting the example of Maqboolpura locality in Amritsar where 90 per cent women have become widows as their husbands have died of addiction.
He said that SAD`s Faridkot MP Paramjit Kaur Gulshan had recently suggested that there should be legal vends in Punjab.
Warning against any such move which can destroy an entire generation, the former Chief Minister said the infiltration of drugs into the state is too deep.
Besides, he added, the cheap synthetic drugs that are being manufactured in Punjab will find an easy way into the licensed vends and destroy the youths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: World's fastest helicopter that may revolutionise air travel!
- STOP IT! Why it's unfair to dub Angurlata Deka as Assam's 'Hot MLA'
- SHOCKING VIDEO: Argentine footballer dies after being struck in head
- Is this for real? Anushka Sharma – Virat Kohli spotted together with a fan – See pic
- Yes I am upset with Mika: Krushna Abhishek speaks on singer shooting for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'