Ambika Soni offers condolence to Punjab CM on wife`s demise
As the political turmoil looked to touch a flashpoint, the BJP central leadership sought the intervention of Sushma Swaraj to mollify Reddy brothers and save its government.
Sushma, who has now sought to disown Reddy brothers, then played a key role in preventing Yeddyurappa from being ousted.
Yeddyurappa then faced another acid test when 11 rebel BJP MLAs and five independents supporting its government dashed off a letter to the Governor on October 6 last year, withdrawing support to the BJP government.
The Governor fixed October 12 as the deadline for Yeddyurappa to prove his majority but the 16 MLAs were disqualified by Speaker KG Bopaiah on October 10, giving a fresh lease of life to his government.
Yeddyurappa was forced to go in for the second trial of strength after Bhardwaj rejected the result of the first vote as "farce" and gave him another chance to prove his strength which the BJP accepted.
Bhardwaj had also recommended imposition of President`s
rule in Karnataka holding that the constitutional machinery
had broken down. But Yeddyurappa won the vote of confidence
and also got another fresh lease of life with the Centre
rejecting Bhardwaj`s report.
Yeddyurappa, who hails from one of the dominant Lingayat
community-- was also able to make his community men and seers
rally around him to ensure that BJP high command bowed to his
dictates rather than acting against him when he faced a spate
of corruption and nepotism charges.
Soni paid tribute to Surinder Kaur (75), who passed away
here recently after prolonged illness, an official release
Pawan Kumar Bansal, Union Minister for Parliamentary
Affairs and senior Congress leader from Punjab, Rajinder Kaur
Bhattal also accompanied Soni.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’