Amritsar cop murder: Son fears for family’s security
Amritsar: The son of a Punjab police officer, who was shot dead by a ruling Shiromani Akali Dal leader in full public view on Wednesday has said that he fears for his family’s security as they are fighting for justice against a “dangerous” accused.
Navpreet, son of the slain inspector told NDTV news channel that he and his family are scared as the accused is very dangerous.
“The government has provided us security, but I am still worried because my mother and sister live here,” he told the news channel.
Navpreet stays in Australia and came to Amritsar for his father’s funeral.
The leader of Punjab`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and an accomplice were arrested on Thursday for allegedly killing the police official who had objected to them harassing his daughter.
Police Commissioner Ram Singh said the main accused, Ranjit Singh Rana, was arrested from the border belt of Amritsar district Thursday morning along with another accused. Rana had been stalking assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Ravinder Pal Singh`s daughter for the last few days.
The ASI was allegedly shot dead by Rana and his accomplices after he objected to his daughter being subjected their harassment Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the daughter of the police officer said she would kill the accused if he is brought in front of her.
"Bring him before me. I will shoot and kill him like he did to my helpless father. No one came to help us as he (the accused) attacked us," the daughter of slain Assistant Sub-Inspector Ravinder Pal Singh said here Thursday.
The incident took place near the Chhehrata police station, on the outskirts of Amritsar city, 250 km from the state capital Chandigarh.
Ravinder Pal`s daughter had complained that some youth used to harass her. The ASI objected to this and confronted the youth. Following an argument, Rana fired at him and his daughter and left them injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31