Amritsar cop murder: Son fears for family’s security
Amritsar: The son of a Punjab police officer, who was shot dead by a ruling Shiromani Akali Dal leader in full public view on Wednesday has said that he fears for his family’s security as they are fighting for justice against a “dangerous” accused.
Navpreet, son of the slain inspector told NDTV news channel that he and his family are scared as the accused is very dangerous.
“The government has provided us security, but I am still worried because my mother and sister live here,” he told the news channel.
Navpreet stays in Australia and came to Amritsar for his father’s funeral.
The leader of Punjab`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and an accomplice were arrested on Thursday for allegedly killing the police official who had objected to them harassing his daughter.
Police Commissioner Ram Singh said the main accused, Ranjit Singh Rana, was arrested from the border belt of Amritsar district Thursday morning along with another accused. Rana had been stalking assistant sub-inspector (ASI) Ravinder Pal Singh`s daughter for the last few days.
The ASI was allegedly shot dead by Rana and his accomplices after he objected to his daughter being subjected their harassment Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the daughter of the police officer said she would kill the accused if he is brought in front of her.
"Bring him before me. I will shoot and kill him like he did to my helpless father. No one came to help us as he (the accused) attacked us," the daughter of slain Assistant Sub-Inspector Ravinder Pal Singh said here Thursday.
The incident took place near the Chhehrata police station, on the outskirts of Amritsar city, 250 km from the state capital Chandigarh.
Ravinder Pal`s daughter had complained that some youth used to harass her. The ASI objected to this and confronted the youth. Following an argument, Rana fired at him and his daughter and left them injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users