Amritsar residents pay tribute to Jallainwala Bagh martyrs
Amritsar: Inspired by last week`s action of noted social activist Anna Hazare, residents of Amritsar paid rich tribute to the unknown martyrs of the 1919 Jallainwala Bagh massacre.
It maybe recalled that on April 13, 1919, around 10,000 gathered at Jallianwala Bagh to protest peacefully against the oppressive Rowlatt Act. Thousands of innocents, including children were brutally killed when the army sprayed fired on the orders of Brigadier General Reginald Dyer. About 1500 wounded people were left to die in their own blood. It is honour of those who died in the enclosed compound, that the Jallianwala Bagh memorial was built.
On Wednesday, residents of various localities of Amritsar avoided all political functions being held to commemorate the event and visited Jallianwala Bagh to remember the martyrs. They also raised patriotic slogans and observed two minutes silence.
Surinder Singh, a resident, accused various political parties of distorting the spirit of the occasion.
He said: “Let us remember the sacrifice of the martyrs and ensure that their lives were not laid down in vain, and like Anna Hazare, we should stand today against corruption, the root cause of our nation`s problems.”
Varinder Walia, another resident, said: “Let us pledge not to be corrupt and to oppose corruption for a new India. This would be a real tribute to the martyrs.”
Residents placed wreaths and showered flower petals near the flame shaped Jallianwala Bagh memorial.
Partap Singh said that the politics of mudslinging appeared to be overshadowing the legacy of the martyrs. He urged politicians not to use the pious place for their own agendas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read