Army gunner challenges dismissal for marrying twice
Chandigarh: An Indian Army soldier, who was fired from service for marrying twice, has moved the Armed Forces Tribunal against the termination saying that Muslim law permitted him to do so.
Following the challenge, the Chandigarh bench of the army tribunal has stayed the termination and has sought a reply from the army authorities.
Yaseen Nadaf (29), a gunner with the 40 Medium Regiment, was dismissed from the army in November 2010.
According to official records, Nadaf had first married Minaj on February 2, 2002 as per Muslim rituals. However, his wife returned to her parents` home after spending only four days with Nadaf.
Following this, an agreement of "khula nama" (divorce deed) was signed between him and Minaj June 10, 2003, which ended their relationship as per Muslim laws. But army officers refused to accept such an agreement.
Nadaf later married Samira Ismail March 22, 2007.
Taking cognizance of marrying twice, authorities issued a notice to Nadaf in January 2010, asking him why he should not be dismissed from service under the provisions of the Army Act.
The termination notice was sent to Nadaf`s unit on November 6 and Nov 24, last year.
Nadaf has pleaded before the army tribunal that marrying twice was acceptable as he was a Muslim and was guided by Muslim community`s laws.
The case is scheduled for hearing March 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez