Arrested Maoist leader`s house raided in Punjab
Chandigarh: Days after a Maoist leader was arrested in Punjab, a special team of Mohali police and sleuths of the crime investigation agency conducted raids at his house in Bathinda, police said on Saturday.
According to the police, 53-year-old Harbhinder Singh, general secretary of the Punjab unit of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist, was arrested from Kharar town in Mohali late on Tuesday.
"We raided his house in Rampura Phul on Friday. His wife and other family members were not present at that time," Gurpreet Singh Bhullar, district police chief, said.
Police sources say that Harbhinder`s house was locked and it was opened by the police in the presence of local municipal councillors. Police have seized his computer and some literature from his house.
Harbhinder, who is a graduate and a very good orator, was recruiting younsters to his organisation and was active in Punjab for five years.
At the time of his arrest, police had recovered an unlicensed .32 bore pistol and banned literature from his possession. He was booked under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and the Arms Act. He is currently under police remand.
Punjab Police chief PS Gill has on various occasions said Maoists are trying to gather support in the region. A few days back, police had busted a gang that was allegedly supplying arms to the rebels.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor
- Ban on diesel cars: Supreme Court to hear industry petition today
- CTET May 8 exam: CBSE releases admit cards, eligible list for Haryana candidates
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why