Ashis Nandy`s effigy burnt over controversial remarks
Patiala: Activists of a caste-based non-political organisation on Monday staged protest demonstrations here against the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashis Nandy on SC and STs at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
The Chamar Mahan Sabha members in protest burnt an effigy of the author at the Dukhniwaran Gurdwara Chowk here.
"It is unfortunate that an educated individual and a sociologist like Nandy have made such an irresponsible statement," president of the outfit, Paramjit Singh Kainth told reporters here.
"Anyone who insults the SC, ST and OBCs will not be tolerated. Nandy should be arrested and a case be registered against him in Punjab," said Kainth.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- WATCH: BRILLIANT! This airline's touching gesture on Dipa Karmakar's arrival in Agartala
- Happy to be working during pregnancy: Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Pfizer says acquiring biotech firm Medivation for $14 billion
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance