Ashis Nandy`s effigy burnt over controversial remarks
Patiala: Activists of a caste-based non-political organisation on Monday staged protest demonstrations here against the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashis Nandy on SC and STs at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
The Chamar Mahan Sabha members in protest burnt an effigy of the author at the Dukhniwaran Gurdwara Chowk here.
"It is unfortunate that an educated individual and a sociologist like Nandy have made such an irresponsible statement," president of the outfit, Paramjit Singh Kainth told reporters here.
"Anyone who insults the SC, ST and OBCs will not be tolerated. Nandy should be arrested and a case be registered against him in Punjab," said Kainth.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row