Ashis Nandy`s effigy burnt over controversial remarks
Patiala: Activists of a caste-based non-political organisation on Monday staged protest demonstrations here against the controversial remarks made by sociologist Ashis Nandy on SC and STs at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
The Chamar Mahan Sabha members in protest burnt an effigy of the author at the Dukhniwaran Gurdwara Chowk here.
"It is unfortunate that an educated individual and a sociologist like Nandy have made such an irresponsible statement," president of the outfit, Paramjit Singh Kainth told reporters here.
"Anyone who insults the SC, ST and OBCs will not be tolerated. Nandy should be arrested and a case be registered against him in Punjab," said Kainth.
Nandy had kicked up a storm at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday with his remarks that "most of the corrupt come from the OBCs, SCs and STs", drawing the ire of many prominent figures including BSP chief Mayawati. An FIR was also lodged against him following his statement.
Nandy had later issued a clarification, saying he was trying to make the point that corruption among Dalits was noticeable, while that of the rich was not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- BSF guns down 2 Pakistani, 2 Indian drug smugglers near border in Punjab