Ashutosh Maharaj "clinically dead": Punjab Police in HC
Chandigarh: Ashutosh Maharaj, spiritual preacher and Chief of sect Divya Jyoti Jagriti Sansthan (DJJS), is "clinically dead" as per the medical reports, Punjab Police informed the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday.
Harinderpal Singh Parmar, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) of Nakodar in Jalandhar district today submitted a status report, along with the medical report of Ashutosh Maharaj making it clear that the Dera head is "clinically dead" to the High Court, on its direction.
The preacher has been motionless since past one week, but his followers maintain that he is alive and is in deep stage of mediation.
Former driver of DJJS founder Pooran Singh had on February 3 filed a petition in the High Court alleging that the spiritual leader was being kept hostage and the Dera was not letting the truth come out about the godman`s health.
Following this, the HC had sought a status report from Punjab government on the habeas corpus petition.
After considering the report, Justice MMS Bedi directed the petitioner to clarify that how his petition to release Ashutosh Maharaj from alleged illegal custody of dera follower is still maintainable.
The high court has now adjourned the case till the next hearing on February 11.
The HC also recalled its earlier order of February 3 and said that in view of the status report there was no need to issue notices to the Dera followers who as per the petitioner are responsible for illegal detention of sect`s head, expected to be in 70s, for usurping the Dera property.
The DSP has also mentioned in its report that after visiting the spot there was no report of illegal detention of Ashutosh Maharaj.
On behalf of DJJS one Narinder Singh told the officers that Maharaj is in deep samadhi (meditation) inside the freezer kept in the room.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre