Atwal elected Punjab Assembly Speaker
Chandigarh: Former Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker
Charanjit Singh Atwal was on Wednesday unanimously elected Speaker of
the Punjab Assembly.
The name of Atwal was proposed by Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal, seconded by BJP`s Bhagat Chunni Lal and Congress
Legislature Party leader Sunil Kumar Jhakar.
The House also unanimously elected Dinesh Singh Babbu of
BJP as the Deputy Speaker of Punjab Assembly. Babu`s name was
proposed by Badal, seconded by Bhagat and Jhakhar.
Atwal, a Dalit leader, is representing the state Assembly
on SAD ticket.
After the election of Speaker and Deputy Speaker, the
House was adjourned for the day.
The House will re-assemble here tomorrow during which
Governor Shivraj V Patil will present his address.
Both the SAD-BJP combine and Congress MLAs and
independents showed unanimity on the name of Atwal and Babbu.
While Atwal won the polls from Payal (reserve)
constituency, Babbu romped home victorious from Sujanpur seat.
Badal, Bhagat and Khakhar among others told the House the
contributions of Atwal and Babbu.
Navjot Kaur Sidhu, wife of Cricketer-turned politician
Navjot Singh Sidhu, who was absent yesterday during the oath
taking of the members of the House, could not attend the
Assembly today as well.
Since the election process has just concluded and a new
government headed by veteran Akali Parkash Singh Badal will
not be presenting a regular budget for 2012-13.
The SAD-BJP alliance government will seek a Vote on
Account for first three months of the new financial year on
Atwal had administered the oath to the 115 members with
first the 18 member Cabinet, followed by women members and
other members in alphabetical order taking their oath in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India