Atwal elected Punjab Assembly Speaker
Chandigarh: Former Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker
Charanjit Singh Atwal was on Wednesday unanimously elected Speaker of
the Punjab Assembly.
The name of Atwal was proposed by Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal, seconded by BJP`s Bhagat Chunni Lal and Congress
Legislature Party leader Sunil Kumar Jhakar.
The House also unanimously elected Dinesh Singh Babbu of
BJP as the Deputy Speaker of Punjab Assembly. Babu`s name was
proposed by Badal, seconded by Bhagat and Jhakhar.
Atwal, a Dalit leader, is representing the state Assembly
on SAD ticket.
After the election of Speaker and Deputy Speaker, the
House was adjourned for the day.
The House will re-assemble here tomorrow during which
Governor Shivraj V Patil will present his address.
Both the SAD-BJP combine and Congress MLAs and
independents showed unanimity on the name of Atwal and Babbu.
While Atwal won the polls from Payal (reserve)
constituency, Babbu romped home victorious from Sujanpur seat.
Badal, Bhagat and Khakhar among others told the House the
contributions of Atwal and Babbu.
Navjot Kaur Sidhu, wife of Cricketer-turned politician
Navjot Singh Sidhu, who was absent yesterday during the oath
taking of the members of the House, could not attend the
Assembly today as well.
Since the election process has just concluded and a new
government headed by veteran Akali Parkash Singh Badal will
not be presenting a regular budget for 2012-13.
The SAD-BJP alliance government will seek a Vote on
Account for first three months of the new financial year on
Atwal had administered the oath to the 115 members with
first the 18 member Cabinet, followed by women members and
other members in alphabetical order taking their oath in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai