Badal accuses centre of usurping states` power
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Sunday accused the central government of usurping the power of the states over the years, saying the authority of the state governments has been eroded by doing this.
In his address after hoisting the national flag on the 65th Republic Day in the industrial city of Ludhiana, Badal said the state governments could not take enough decisions even in fields like education, agriculture, health and others.
"State governments are unable to take decisions for the welfare of people as the centre has usurped the powers of states. There is an immediate need to give these powers back to the states so that they can act for the welfare of the people," Badal said.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal hoisted the national flag at Bathinda.
In Haryana, the state-level function was held in Gurgaon, adjoining New Delhi, where Governor Jagannath Pahadia hoisted the national flag.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda hoisted the national flag at Nuh, the district headquarters of the newly created district of Mewat in south Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre