Badal accuses centre of usurping states` power
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Sunday accused the central government of usurping the power of the states over the years, saying the authority of the state governments has been eroded by doing this.
In his address after hoisting the national flag on the 65th Republic Day in the industrial city of Ludhiana, Badal said the state governments could not take enough decisions even in fields like education, agriculture, health and others.
"State governments are unable to take decisions for the welfare of people as the centre has usurped the powers of states. There is an immediate need to give these powers back to the states so that they can act for the welfare of the people," Badal said.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal hoisted the national flag at Bathinda.
In Haryana, the state-level function was held in Gurgaon, adjoining New Delhi, where Governor Jagannath Pahadia hoisted the national flag.
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda hoisted the national flag at Nuh, the district headquarters of the newly created district of Mewat in south Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon