Badal seeks Haryana, HP CMs help to keep river cle
Chandigarh: Expressing concern over pollution in Ghaggar river in Punjab, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Monday sought help from his Haryana and Himachal Pradesh counterparts to take steps to prevent discharge of effluents from their states into the river.
"Badal sought personal intervention of Haryana CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda and HP CM Virbhadra Singh for taking effective steps to prevent reckless discharge of untreated domestic waste water and industrial effluents into drains, which ultimately join Ghaggar river in Punjab," a spokesperson said.
Presiding over a meeting of the senior officers of Punjab Pollution Control Board (PPCB), Badal stressed on the need to resolve the inter-state environmental issue with a broad perspective.
He was apprised that the state board had surveyed the Ghaggar river along with catchment area.
Starting from Nadha Sahib Gurdwara (Panchkula district) in Haryana, the river enters into Punjab near Mubarkpur village, where the colour of water was found changing.
Further downstream, industrial and domestic waste water of Ambala, Shahbad Markanda and many villages in Haryana, located in the catchment area of Ghaggar river, was discharged into Ghaggar directly or through some storm water drains.
The colour of the water changes to blackish-brown downstream of confluence point of Sagarpara drain near Khanuri, Sangrur district.
In addition, the waste water of Jakhal and Ratia of Haryana was also discharged into the river, the board said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days