Badal sought military action at Golden Temple: Amarinder
Chandigarh: Congress leader Capt Amarinder Singh on Wednesday claimed that Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had asked the then union government to go for military action at Golden temple.
Badal held a secret meeting with the then union home minister PV Narsimha Rao on March 28, 1984, wherein he sought military action, he alleged.
"You (Badal) are now in the Punjab people`s court, more particularly in that of the Sikhs of Punjab, of our country and abroad. Let them judge you for what you are", he said in an open letter to Badal, copies of which were released to media here today.
"The meeting held in a guest house in New Delhi, was also attended by then Cabinet Secretary, the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister and the Union Home Secretary."
"I say that the object of the meeting was to convey to him (Rao) your (Badal) concern at the situation in the Darbar Sahib and to ask union government, to take military action," the former Punjab chief minister said.
Capt Amarinder asked Badal to come clean on the issue and not use his OSDs and spokespersons to defend himself.
"Yesterday, I had asked you whether you ever had a one to one meeting with a Union Minister shortly before `Blue Star`. I asked this as a committee of three comprising Gurcharan Singh Tohra, Surjit Singh Barnala and yourself had been jointly authorised by your President Harchand Singh Longowal to do so," the Congress leader said.
"On March 28 what was your reason for meeting the Union Home Minister alone? Today in your usual evasive manner, your spokesman has said that you had met the Prime Minister much earlier. That was not my question".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!