Badal takes stock of flood control measures
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday directed the state finance department to release funds for flood protection arrangements.
Presiding over a high level meeting of the Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and other officials here, Badal asked the finance department to release Rs 56 crore to the irrigation department for flood protection, an official spokesperson of the CM office said.
The Chief Minister asked the DCs to keep a close tab on critical points within their jurisdiction to combat eventualities during the coming Monsoons, besides establishing a proper co-ordination with the Irrigation department, the spokesperson said.
Raising the issue of continuing irregular digging of Chakki River banks along the Pathankot-Gurdaspur Road, Irrigation Minister Janmeja Singh Sekhon said it can cause threat to the life and property of nearby villagers.
Directing the DC concerned to take necessary action in this regard, Badal expressed apprehension over similar situations at other places.
The Chief Minister advised principal secretary Irrigation department, to prepare a long-term strategy for permanent solution to the floods by conducting a study involving a reputed agency, which can recommend necessary measures for widening and strengthening the state`s river banks.
In the meeting, Badal also gave approval for purchasing four flood protection hydraulic machines at a cost of Rs 22 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says