Badal takes stock of flood control measures
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday directed the state finance department to release funds for flood protection arrangements.
Presiding over a high level meeting of the Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and other officials here, Badal asked the finance department to release Rs 56 crore to the irrigation department for flood protection, an official spokesperson of the CM office said.
The Chief Minister asked the DCs to keep a close tab on critical points within their jurisdiction to combat eventualities during the coming Monsoons, besides establishing a proper co-ordination with the Irrigation department, the spokesperson said.
Raising the issue of continuing irregular digging of Chakki River banks along the Pathankot-Gurdaspur Road, Irrigation Minister Janmeja Singh Sekhon said it can cause threat to the life and property of nearby villagers.
Directing the DC concerned to take necessary action in this regard, Badal expressed apprehension over similar situations at other places.
The Chief Minister advised principal secretary Irrigation department, to prepare a long-term strategy for permanent solution to the floods by conducting a study involving a reputed agency, which can recommend necessary measures for widening and strengthening the state`s river banks.
In the meeting, Badal also gave approval for purchasing four flood protection hydraulic machines at a cost of Rs 22 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- French PM `open` to interim ban on foreign funding of mosques
- Nirbhaya case: Convicts' lawyer challenges 'iron rod' theory, announces Rs 10 lakh reward for anyone who proves it
- Surprise! Bhagyashree looks amazingly hot in these latest PICS
- Here's how you can safely lose weight in one month without exercise!
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar blames Delhi's Arvind Kejriwal for Gurgaon jam – Know why