Badal terms bypolls results as vindication of SAD policies
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today termed the results of the two Assembly bypolls in Punjab as "a vindication of the policies and performance of the SAD-BJP combine government" in the state.
He said the results were a major set back to the Congress party, as we not only gained the Talwandi
Sabo seat from the Congress but also considerably increased our vote share in Patiala Assembly constituency compared with the results of the Assembly segment in the last Lok Saba polls.
"The results in both the Constituencies also showed that the Congress was clearly on the way out in the state," Badal said in a statement here.
The Chief Minister said the results of the Talwandi Sabo constituency showed a record margin of 4,66,642, which should be an eye opener to the Congress.
The Chief Minister thanked the people for "enhancing the position and prestige of the SAD-BJP in both the constituencies", saying the victory in Talwandi Sabo and the improved vote-share in Patiala were proof of the faith of the people in the policies and programmers of the government.
Badal said while the SAD-BJP government snatched the Talwandi Sabo seat from the Congress, which had won here in the last assembly elections, the alliance improved its vote share in Patiala from nearly 1,63,42 to 2,96,85.
He said the results would "further strengthen our resolve to serve the people of the state with greater zeal, commitment and humility".
The Chief Minister said the Aam Aadmi Party was just a flash in the pan in the state politics as the party has been wiped out in the bypolls.
Ruling SAD and Congress won one seat each in the bypolls to Talwandi Sabo Assembly seats and Patiala (urban) today but the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) finished a poor third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez