Badal terms Sidhu`s proposed fast-unto-death as "unwarranted"
Amritsar: BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu on Friday said he would go on a fast-unto-death from Saturday protesting against the stalling of disbursement of development funds for his Amritsar constituency, which was termed as "unwarranted" by Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
In a press statement, Sidhu said, "I know what are my duties towards the development of Amritsar being an elected Member of Parliament. I will do my duty honestly without criticising anybody and without speaking against anybody... I will sit on a fast-unto-death from tomorrow (Saturday)."
"Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh has directed me to remain silent. But my duty towards Amritsar would never be stopped," Sidhu, who returned from Delhi today, said.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters on the sidelines of a foundation stone laying function in Mohali, Badal said Sidhu should not have taken this step as the issues could have been resolved amicably.
"It was intrinsically in his nature to treat leaders and workers of his party and even opposition members with full regard and respect," Badal said.
Replying to a query on the issues raised by Sidhu on diversion of Amritsar Improvement Trust funds to other municipalities, Badal said he had written a letter to the Local Government minister to furnish all details to the Amritsar MP.
The practice of diverting funds was in vogue since 1981 as an internal arrangement of the Local Government department for those civic bodies which were facing financial crunch, he said adding, proper procedures had to be followed and it had to be cleared by the Local Government minister.
There was hardly anything wrong or illegal in it, he added.
In Chandigarh, Punjab Deputy Chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, meanwhile, set deadlines for completion of all ongoing as well as new development projects in Amritsar.
At a meeting at Chandigarh, Badal reviewed the status of ongoing projects worth Rs 730 crore and new projects worth Rs 1,309 crore for the holy city, an official release said.
A total of Rs 2,039 crore has been set aside for development projects in Amritsar, it stated.
The meeting was attended by State BJP president Kamal Sharma and Local Bodies Minister Anil Joshi, Amritsar Mayor Bakshi Ram Arora and senior government functionaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!