Badal visits slain ASI`s family, assures action
Amritsar: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday visited Rampura village and met family of the policeman, who was shot dead allegedly by a local SAD leader after he resisted harassment of his daughter by the politician and his aides.
Badal met daughter and other family members of slain ASI Ravinderpal Singh and expressed condolence.
Singh`s daughter told Badal that her father was publicly beaten by the accused before being shot dead.
The 23-year-old girl told the Chief Minister that the accused also slapped her repeatedly before passersby.
She claimed the SHO of the police station concerned was "equally responsible" for not acting on her complaint against the accused.
The SHO has been dismissed.
After listening to her, Badal, while expressing sympathy with the family, said Punjab Government would extend all possible help to the family, since Ravinderpal was an honest and hard working officer.
Later, Badal told reporters that there was no threat to peace in Punjab as law and order situation all over the state was within the control.
His response came after being asked about the allegations of opposition Congress that there was complete breakdown of law and order and "jungle raj" was prevailing in the state.
Badal said, "One should not give political colours to this issue, but share sympathy with the family."
Talking about the accused, Badal said Ranjit Singh Rana was not an old party worker since he was admitted in the party fold recently and the party was not aware about his character.
"There would be no leniency shown with the accused involved in the murder of ASI," Badal said.
Rana was SAD`s secretary (urban) here for the last three months. He along with his four accomplices had allegedly shot dead ASI Ravinderpal on December 05.
Rana along with three of his accomplices were arrested by the police next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?