Badal withdraws defamation cases against Sonia, Amarinder
Chandigarh: A local court here on Saturday allowed a plea by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to withdraw civil defamation cases filed against Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Congress leader and former chief minister Amarinder Singh.
Acting on a plea by Badal, filed early this month, Chief Judicial Magistrate JS Sidhu dismissed the defamation cases that were filed in 2002.
Badal had sought damages from Congress leaders accusing them of running a malicious advertisement campaign against him during the state Assembly Elections in 2002.
"Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir Singh Badal had filed a civil defamation case against Amarinder Singh and Sonia Gandhi and demanded Rs 5 crore compensation. A second civil defamation case was filed by Badal (senior) against Amarinder Singh, demanding Rs 5 crore (compensation)," SPS Bhullar, Amarinder Singh`s lawyer, said.
"Court has allowed to withdraw both cases. Badal said that in a bid to create an atmosphere of cordial relations, he has withdrawn the cases," said Bhullar.
Badal made the announcement to withdraw the case last month after he, his wife Surinder Kaur, and Sukhbir were acquitted in a case of disproportionate assets by a court in Punjab`s Mohali town, 10 km from here.
Badal announced on the floor of the Punjab assembly that he would withdraw the case against Amarinder Singh to end the bitter political rivalry.
On October 16, a local court here allowed a plea by Badal to withdraw a criminal defamation case filed against Amarinder Singh.
This defamation case was filed by Badal claiming that he had written a letter to him in September 2001 listing 16 properties owned by him and his family.
The letter alleged that the Badal family owned properties in several places across India and in other countries like the US and Australia. The value of these properties was put at over Rs 35 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny