Badals face flak for attending function during state mourning
Chandigarh: The Congress on Sunday hit out at Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir Badal for attending a music and dance show in Bhatinda district, even as there was a state mourning over the death of former Prime Minister Indra Kumar Gujral.
Attacking the Akali Dal leaders, party`s state chief Amarinder Singh termed it an act of "extreme impropriety" as the state government itself had declared state mourning across Punjab.
Singh alleged that Chief Minister Badal, who himself had announced state mourning, not only allowed the show containing dance and fireworks during a kabbadi tournament to go on, but also presided over the functions in Bhatinda yesterday.
"Was Badal mourning or celebrating the death of the former Prime Minister who happened to be country`s first Punjabi Prime Minister and a great friend of Punjab?" he asked.
He also accused Badal of announcing state mourning only for the sake of formality, and said his party will take up the issue to the state Governor.
"Badal took a straight flight from the cremation of Gujral to attend the celebrations, which is quite unfortunate and unbecoming of a chief minister," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what