Bajwa asks Cong workers to prepare for panchayat polls
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa on Sunday exhorted party workers to start preparations for upcoming block Samiti and Zila Parishad polls, and asked them to inform people about the "failures" of the SAD-BJP government.
People of rural Punjab were fed up with the policies of the SAD-BJP government, he said in a statement here.
The morale of SAD workers was low after the ruling party failed to solve the issues concerning common people, he said.
Congress will continue to oppose MSP of wheat and hike in power tariff till the government withdraws it, Bajwa said.
Earlier, the SAD-BJP government was forced to review property tax due to the pressure enforced by the Congress, he said.
Free and fair polls will ensure a crushing defeat of Akali Dal in the Panchayat polls, the Congress leader said.
Bajwa alleged that rural areas of Punjab were receiving poor power supply and unemployment remained a major concern for the state. He asked party workers to highlight such issues in public and expose the "misdeeds" of the state government.
The SAD-BJP government has proved a "failure" on all fronts and it did not fulfil promises made to the Dalits and Backward Classes in its election manifesto, he said.
He warned the Akalis against "influencing" the polling staff and "misuse" of police to prevent Congress candidates from filing nomination papers.
PPCC has appointed observers at block level, Bajwa said.
He asked his party men to report to PPCC office if ruling party tries to interfere in the election process. Bajwa said that the party has set up a legal cell which will monitor the Panchayat elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears