Bajwa asks Cong workers to prepare for panchayat polls
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa on Sunday exhorted party workers to start preparations for upcoming block Samiti and Zila Parishad polls, and asked them to inform people about the "failures" of the SAD-BJP government.
People of rural Punjab were fed up with the policies of the SAD-BJP government, he said in a statement here.
The morale of SAD workers was low after the ruling party failed to solve the issues concerning common people, he said.
Congress will continue to oppose MSP of wheat and hike in power tariff till the government withdraws it, Bajwa said.
Earlier, the SAD-BJP government was forced to review property tax due to the pressure enforced by the Congress, he said.
Free and fair polls will ensure a crushing defeat of Akali Dal in the Panchayat polls, the Congress leader said.
Bajwa alleged that rural areas of Punjab were receiving poor power supply and unemployment remained a major concern for the state. He asked party workers to highlight such issues in public and expose the "misdeeds" of the state government.
The SAD-BJP government has proved a "failure" on all fronts and it did not fulfil promises made to the Dalits and Backward Classes in its election manifesto, he said.
He warned the Akalis against "influencing" the polling staff and "misuse" of police to prevent Congress candidates from filing nomination papers.
PPCC has appointed observers at block level, Bajwa said.
He asked his party men to report to PPCC office if ruling party tries to interfere in the election process. Bajwa said that the party has set up a legal cell which will monitor the Panchayat elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case