Bajwa demands CBI probe in "book scam"
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa on Saturday demanded CBI probe into the alleged "book scam" in the state education department and demanded immediate resignation of Education Minister Sikandar Singh Malooka.
Bajwa in a release charged Malooka with ignoring all procedures with regard to purchase of books for government schools and alleged that funds to the tune of Rs 9.50 crore were misappropriated.
Raising a question over the contract given for supply of books, he alleged that the firm which supplied books was actually engaged in the business of manufacturing pipes.
Bajwa alleged that the Punjab Education Minister was earlier also involved in scandal of supplying practical books and students were directed to buy practical books from particular dealers.
Bajwa alleged that books containing derogatory remarks against national leaders were supplied.
He said that a Congress delegation would meet the Union Human Resource Development minister and bring to his notice the misuse of Central government funds.
"Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was fully responsible for the corrupt practices by his ministers and every time clean chit is given to guilty ministers," he said.
Bajwa also announced that he would lead a delegation of party MPs and MLAs to Manna village adjoining Badal`s native village in Lambi Assembly constituency on May 27 where Punjab police had registered criminal cases against about 150 persons, who protested against booth capturing allegedly by the Akalis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price