Bhatinda gang-rape incident shameful: Tirath
New Delhi: Terming the Jan 18 gang-rape incident in Bhatinda in Punjab as "shameful" in which a woman was pulled into a car and held hostage, a minister here Monday advocated life imprisonment to death for the perpetrators.
"It is shameful that this is happening again and again. Despite legislation and prosecution, this is happening. We have to take strong action," Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said on the sidelines of a meet on domestic violence.
Advocating life imprisonment upto death for rapists, the minister said, the society also needs to have a proactive role in prevention of such crimes. Tirath said she has written to home minister (Sushilkumar Shinde) on the issue.
Rapists, who are sentenced to life imprisonment should not be let off after 14 years or given parole, she said, adding, her ministry will work on ensuring protection officers at the district and sub-divisional levels.
A young woman on her way to Mohali in Punjab for a job interview Jan 18 was pulled into a car by two men at a Chandigarh bus-stop. She was driven all the way to Bhatinda, 250 km away and was allegedly raped while being held hostage for two days.
The woman, who is now in a hospital in Bhatinda said in a police complaint that she was taken to a shop in the city, where she was repeatedly raped, while the men recorded the assault on a mobile phone.
She says she was then taken in the car to a secluded place and thrown out on the road. A passerby took her to a hospital.
Asked whether she agreed with the Delhi Police commissioner`s view on lowering the age of juveniles, Tirath said she was against decreasing the age of juveniles from 18 years but was for strong punishment in rarest of rarest cases like the Dec 16 gang-rape incident.
"We as a society should introspect as to how we have failed our children. What kind of schools these children went to…what life they have led," she said.
The minister said that her ministry would soon be coming out with a special scheme for adolescent boys called "Saksham" under the (Integrated Child Development Services) ICDS programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark