Bhullar clemency resolution not in Punjab Assembly
Chandigarh: Punjab government is unlikely to
bring a resolution in the state assembly seeking clemency for
Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar, a death row convict in the 1993
Delhi blast, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said on Thursday.
He said the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal was in favour of
conversion of Bhullar`s death penalty to life imprisonment but
most of the political parties including the Congress were
opposed to the idea.
"We (SAD) wanted to bring a resolution (to convert
Bhullar`s death sentence to life imprisonment) for his
benefit, but Congress and other political parties are opposed
to it," Parkash Singh Badal, who is also his party`s patron,
told reporters here.
"By bringing a resolution we wanted to help Bhullar, but
now if we bring it with most political parties opposed to it
it will be defeated and the step is going to harm Bhullar," he
Bhullar is on death row for his role in the 1993 car bomb
blast at the Youth Congress headquarters in Delhi in which
nine persons had been killed.
On being told that SAD`s ally BJP too was opposed to
clemency to Bhullar, Badal said, "In an alliance, at times
some parties do not support an issue as every party has its
own agenda and ideology."
He rejected the proposal to convene an all-party meeting
on the issue of Bhullar languishing in Tihar jail for a
murderous attack on the then Youth Congress chief M S Bitta in
which nine persons lost their lifes.
BJP had always opposed clemency to Bhullar while Punjab
Congress chief Amarinder Singh was in its favour but later he
too opposed the suggestion of bringing a resolution in the
state assembly on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister