Bhullar issue: Bitta says parties doing votebank politics
Chandigarh: All India Anti-Terrorist Front
Chairman MS Bitta on Monday said political parties were indulging
in votebank politics over rejection of mercy plea of death row
convict and Khalistan militant Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar even
as SGPC decided to file a review petition against capital
punishment for Bhullar.
"It is unfortunate that parties are indulging in votebank
politics over such a sensitive issue. It is time that people
of this country need to know whether politicians are even
above the Supreme Court," Bitta said.
Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal in Punjab and main opposition
Congress have demanded Bhullar`s death sentence be commuted.
Bhullar was convicted in an attempt on the life of Bitta
which left nine other persons dead.
Bitta said he was not bothered about the clemency
demands of SAD and former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.
"It was (Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee chief)
PS Sarna who first made the demand for Bhullar`s clemency and
SAD and Amarinder followed. All I can say is that I have to
fight my own battle. The law of the land has to mean
something," Bitta said to a news agency.
Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee, the apex
religious body of the Sikhs, headed by Avtar Singh Makkar
decided to form a five-member committee on the issue.
The committee comprises general secretary Sukhdev Singh
Bhaur, executive committee member Rajinder Singh Mehta and
Surjit Singh, and members RS Dhami and Jaswant Singh.
Bhaur, Dhami and Jaswant are lawyers.
The committee will soon head for Delhi where it will take
services of top five lawyers of the Supreme Court and file the
review petition, Makkar said.
SGPC today took the decision to form the committee
following directives of the supreme temporal seat of the
Sikhs, the Akal Takht, which asked it to take note of the
situation that has emerged following rejection of Bhullar`s
petition by the President.
President Pratibha Patil had on May 26 rejected the
mercy petition of Bhullar, a member of Khalistan Liberation
Bhullar was sentenced to death by a trial court on
August 25, 2001, for plotting terror attacks on Punjab SSP
Sumedh Singh Saini in 1991 and the then Youth Congress head MS Bitta in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’