Bibi Jagir Kaur`s plea for TV in jail rejected
Chandigarh: Punjab Director General of Police (Prisons) Shashi Kant has rejected a request from former state minister Bibi Jagir Kaur to install a television in her cell at the Kapurthala Jail.
Reacting to reports that Bibi Jagir Kaur was being accorded VIP treatment, Kant has asked an Inspector General rank police officer to conduct a probe.
The officer is likely to visit the Kapurthala Jail today for this purpose.
Kant had also written a letter to Kapurthala Jail Superintendent SP Khanna, asking him to strictly follow the rules.
Kant said that Kaur had been first sent to Patiala jail but she sought to be transferred to Kapurthala jail as her native village Begowal was nearby.
"This request was granted as it fell within the rules," he said.
The former Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee chief has been convicted and sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment for the abduction and forced abortion of her daughter Harpreet 12 years ago. She was, however, acquitted of murder charge against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?