Bibi Jagir Kaur`s plea for TV in jail rejected
Chandigarh: Punjab Director General of Police (Prisons) Shashi Kant has rejected a request from former state minister Bibi Jagir Kaur to install a television in her cell at the Kapurthala Jail.
Reacting to reports that Bibi Jagir Kaur was being accorded VIP treatment, Kant has asked an Inspector General rank police officer to conduct a probe.
The officer is likely to visit the Kapurthala Jail today for this purpose.
Kant had also written a letter to Kapurthala Jail Superintendent SP Khanna, asking him to strictly follow the rules.
Kant said that Kaur had been first sent to Patiala jail but she sought to be transferred to Kapurthala jail as her native village Begowal was nearby.
"This request was granted as it fell within the rules," he said.
The former Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee chief has been convicted and sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment for the abduction and forced abortion of her daughter Harpreet 12 years ago. She was, however, acquitted of murder charge against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Dope scandal: Narsingh Yadav's Rio Olympics fate hangs in balance as NADA set to pronounce verdict today
- Indo-US counter-terrorism joint working group to meet today
- Hillary Clinton more qualified than anyone to serve as US president: Barack Obama
- Rahul Gandhi likely to speak on price rise in Lok Sabha today
- 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case: Ten years later, MCOCA court likely to deliver verdict today