BJP a lame duck party: Congress
Bathinda: Punjab Congress Chief Partap Singh Bajwa on Wednesday described the BJP as "a lame duck party" which has lost self-esteem and political wisdom.
Change in portfolios of BJP ministers in Punjab would not change their integrity as the party has failed to look after people`s interests, Bajwa said while addressing a series of meetings here.
The PPCC chief accused the SAD-BJP government of putting an annual burden of Rs 5,000 crore on people living in urban areas of the state, which included Rs 800 crore from fee on regularisation of illegal colonies, Rs 2,000 crore by way of property tax, another Rs 1,000 crore through additional VAT on petrol and diesel and more than Rs 1,200 crore annually by way of hike in power tariff for urban domestic consumers.
During the past six years of SAD-BJP regime, cumulative increase in power tariff has been 80 percent against 22 percent during the Congress rule from 2002 to 2007, Bajwa said.
Criticising BJP, he said even though the local bodies department remained with the party, control of issuing grants for development works was in the hands of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu has exposed the anti-urban stance of the SAD, Bajwa said alleging, BJP and SAD have hatched a conspiracy against Sidhu to vacate the seat for revenue minister Bikram Singh Majithia`s father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state