BJP a lame duck party: Congress
Bathinda: Punjab Congress Chief Partap Singh Bajwa on Wednesday described the BJP as "a lame duck party" which has lost self-esteem and political wisdom.
Change in portfolios of BJP ministers in Punjab would not change their integrity as the party has failed to look after people`s interests, Bajwa said while addressing a series of meetings here.
The PPCC chief accused the SAD-BJP government of putting an annual burden of Rs 5,000 crore on people living in urban areas of the state, which included Rs 800 crore from fee on regularisation of illegal colonies, Rs 2,000 crore by way of property tax, another Rs 1,000 crore through additional VAT on petrol and diesel and more than Rs 1,200 crore annually by way of hike in power tariff for urban domestic consumers.
During the past six years of SAD-BJP regime, cumulative increase in power tariff has been 80 percent against 22 percent during the Congress rule from 2002 to 2007, Bajwa said.
Criticising BJP, he said even though the local bodies department remained with the party, control of issuing grants for development works was in the hands of Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Amritsar MP Navjot Singh Sidhu has exposed the anti-urban stance of the SAD, Bajwa said alleging, BJP and SAD have hatched a conspiracy against Sidhu to vacate the seat for revenue minister Bikram Singh Majithia`s father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?