BJP activists stage protests in Punjab, Haryana
Chandigarh: BJP activists in Punjab and Haryana on Friday staged demonstrations in district headquarters to protest the price spiral, including hike in petrol rates.
Except four BJP ministers and five Chief Parliamentary Secretaries of Punjab, all state party leaders, including MPs and MLAs, will court arrest later in the day at all the district headquarters in the state, a party spokesman said here.
The protest is part of the nation-wide stir organised by the BJP against runaway food inflation and "maladministration" of the UPA government.
The protest will also focus on "maladministration" of the UPA government at the Centre, Punjab BJP General Secretary Kanwal Sharma said.
Rajya Sabha MP Balbir Punj and party MP Navjot Singh Sidhu are spear-heading the protest at Amritsar, National Vice President Shanta Kumar and senior leader Manoranjan Kalia at Jalandhar and Punjab BJP chief Ashwani Sharma at Pathankot.
"We will stage peaceful protests in front of Deputy Commissioners offices and later offer arrest," a BJP spokesman said, adding that there would not be any forceful closure of shops and blockade of traffic as part of the protest.
Meanwhile, BJP`s key ally Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in Punjab is not taking part in the protest.
SAD spokesman Daljeet Singh Cheema said that "It (the protest) is their own (BJP`s) programme and SAD is not part of it".
Meanwhile, in Haryana, saffron party activists gathered around Deputy Commissioners offices as part of their protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!